[R-SIG-Mac] R mobile: iOS

Charlie Sharpsteen source at sharpsteen.net
Sat Jul 10 16:24:36 CEST 2010

> See these two recent posts:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2010-May/240669.html
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2010-June/240901.html
>
> Nothing new since then, but the logical model for R would be a client/server approach, along the lines of what you reference for MATLAB or what has been done for Wolfram|Alpha.

Indeed.  I love my iPhone, but the restrictions placed on it by Apple
are a shameful waste of a perfectly good UNIX operating system.  Same
for the iPad.

I recently got bitten by the desire to try something completely
different in the area of programming languages and have been learning
Erlang.  After three days of work I have nearly completed a web server
that can accept console input over a HTML 5 WebSocket, pipe the
command to Simon's Rserve and then return the results.

I am especially excited about this side project as the Erlang backbone
should allow the whole system to be scaled across multiple servers to
handle large volumes of demand.

-Charlie