[R-SIG-Mac] R mobile: iOS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 9 22:48:43 CEST 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Etienne Low-Décarie wrote:

> Good day,
>
> iOS devices (iPhone,iPod and iPad) can be amazing tools, expanding the realm of R usage (to the field even!), and it is already possible to run R on a host computer through command line (through SSH apps for example, with no script editor or graphical output).  I was wondering if R related software was being developed for this operating system.  I am posting these suggestions to this list, as porting software to iOS is similar to porting software to OS X.

Porting is the least problem since that is done (for R) for quite some time now (as you can read int this list). The main issues concern the Apple restrictions on applications which essentially rule out R to be ever used under those conditions.

That said, there are several remote R GUIs written for OS X so it should not be too hard to revive them and switch from Cocoa to UIKit. There are also web-based approaches for the iOS already although not something I would recommend for several reasons including security and flexibility.