[R-SIG-Mac] No labels/titles shown on Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Jan 31 16:49:19 CET 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Gommo Skipper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the mac port of R and have problem seeing any label in my
> plots. There's no main title, labels and no errors spitting from the R
> console.
>
>> sessionInfo()
> I'm trying to use quartz on a x64 snow leopard:
>
> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
> x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
>
> locale:
> [1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>> hist(rnorm(100),main="HELLO")
>>

> This is a stock installation, and I'm out of ideas on how to fix it.
> Any hints?

I cannot reproduce it, but this sounds like a font issue. Have you disabled some fonts (such as Arial) on your system? (see the recent discussion on this) Try using some font that you have on your system, e.g.
hist(rnorm(100),main="HELLO",family="Monaco")
or
hist(rnorm(100),main="HELLO",family="Helvetica")