[R-SIG-Mac] Which gfortran for Leopard?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 21 21:10:06 CET 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 14:47 , cstrato wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have the following problem:
> My Bioconductor package xps requires both R and ROOT, whereby I
> compile ROOT usually from source. Until now this has not been a
> problem since I do all my development on Tiger. However, now I
> wanted to compile ROOT on Leopard but failed since my gfortran
> compiler is too old, see:
> http://root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9721&sid=003b01ddb64f33dbe0c74651ee089c34
>
> To solve the problem I should upgrade to the latest version coming
> with gcc-4.4 in Fink.

I would advise against that - using gcc from Fink usually calls for a
disaster. The real solution is to fix their flags, but that's another
story ...

> Thus my question is:
> Can I also use this version for R or do I need to use the version
> downloaded from att?

I would recommend using the Leopard gfortran 4.2.4 for Xcode 3.1.x
from the Mac devel page
http://r.research.att.com/tools/
which I assume is what you meant by the latter.