[R-SIG-Mac] udunits and RNetCDF ... simple or hard to get Mac version?

David Pierce dpierce at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 15 02:57:15 CET 2010

Hello,

maintainer of the udunits package here.  Can you install other source
packages successfully?  Seeing the error "C compiler cannot create
executables" makes me suspect it's not a problem with the udunits package
per se.

Regards,

--Dave

>>> http://public.me.com/jdeleeuw/software (it's currently gone from
>>> me.com, but
>>> it will be there again soon).
>>>
>>> It contains
>>>
>>> a. 64-bit version of R-devel (a.k.a R-2.10.0) with about 600
>>> packages.
>>> It supports the
>>>    GTK+, tcl/tk, SciViews, etc interfaces.
>>>
>>> b. 64-bit version of grass-trunk (a.k.a. GRASS-7.0).
>>>
>>> c. Support-libraries and executables, all 64-bit, for ImageMagick,
>>> freetype, GDAL, proj,
>>>    gsl, gmp, mpfr, fftw, mysql, pgsql, hadoop, root, heasoft, hdf4/5,
>>> netcdf, graphviz,
>>>    ffmpeg, asymptote, expat, cdd, cfitsio, fontconfig, gc, geos,
>>> geotiff, gd, tiff, jpeg,
>>>    png, svg, gettext, harminv, iconv, intl, jags, jasper, las,
>>> pixman, qhull, readline,
>>>    sqlite, szip, tcl/tk, udunits, xml2, gtk2, gdk, atk, glib, cairo,
>>> pango, glade, git,
>>>    wget, gawk, sed, gs, pkg-config, tramo, seats, x12a, yacas, pvm3
>>> --- probably more.
>>>
>>> d. A 64-bit version of gcc, g++, gfortran 4.2.5 with gomp.
>>> Everything,
>>> including the
>>>    compilers, is compiled with flags "-m64 -O3 -fopenmp -
>>> mtune=native" -- "native" in
>>>    this context means "nocona", i.e. Intel Core Duo.
>>>
>>> e. texlive-2008
>>>
>>> It is updated one or twice per week with recent cvs, svn or git
>>> versions. It installs in
>>> /usr/local. The R is pretty snappy on my machine.
>>>
>>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> Limitations
>>>  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> 1. This is for CLI junkies. Normal people will stay away from this.
>>>
>>> 2. The quartz device in R works, but many other things are either GTK
>>> +, tcl/tk, or even
>>>    Athena.
>>>
>>> 3. This was compiled on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Your Leopard
>>> mileage
>>> may vary. No
>>>    universal binaries of any sort, of course.
>>>
>>> 4. Basically it creates a separate 64-bit development environment,
>>> independent of the Apple stuff
>>>    (and independently, if you want, of the "normal" and nice R and
>>> GRASS framework-builds and GUIs).
>>>
>>> 5. This is a large file. After unpacking "du -s /usr/local" says
>>> 14167872 (i.e. 14 GB).
>>>
>>> 6. I am not really supporting this for users outside my department.
>>> That would be unwise.
>

> Dr. Robert Chatfield
> Earth Sciences, MS 245-5
> NASA Ames Research Center
> Moffett Field, CA 94035    USA
>
> Ph: 650-604-5490  FAX 650-604-3625
>
> http://geo.arc.nasa.gov/sgg/chatfield

David W. Pierce
Division of Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
(858) 534-8276 (voice)  /  (858) 534-8561 (fax)    dpierce at ucsd.edu