[R-SIG-Mac] Rd2dvi --pdf

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 7 18:47:30 CET 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 1:31 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Matthew Fero wrote:
>
>> I know this has been addressed before, but I'm not sure I
>> understand the prior comments.
>>
>> Does the R Mac binary installer include the latex components
>> necessary to run the 'R CMD Rd2dvi --pdf' command?  If so, where
>
> No.  See the FAQ, specifically section 2.1 and
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#TeX-suite-of-tools-for-documentation-_0028optional_0029
>
> Note that these days the 'R Mac binary installer' contains much less
> than it used to, basically just R (not Tcl/Tk for example).
>
>> should it be located, because I'm getting the error, "/Library/
>> Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/Rd2dvi: line 233: /usr/texbin/
>> pdflatex: No such file or directory".  If not, any suggestions on
>> an easy way to install a lightweight, compatible latex distribution?
>
> Unfortunately the CRAN binary of R (which I presume you are using)
> hardocodes the path to the TeX distribution (to values appropriate
> to MacTeX).

Hmm.. this is a bug - since R 2.9.x they are supposed to be stripped
of paths but apparently in the 2.10.1 Leopard installer they have not
(I'll verify it at the next release to make sure they are). The only
binaries that don't strip paths are the nightly builds as they don't
post-process the values determined by configure (hence my assumption
that it was a nightly build).

Thanks,
Simon