[R-SIG-Mac] RGtk2 problems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 20 12:01:02 CET 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Anna Oganyan wrote:

> Dear all,
> I would like to ask about package RGtk2 with which I have a problem.
> I will very much appreciate if somebody could tell me what I need to do.
> I need to install a  package scdMicro and it depends on gWidgetsRGtk2.
> I am working on MAC, version 10.5.8.

It is also helpful to give your architecture (i386, x86_64, ppc).

> I have the latest R version (2.10.1).
> When I try to load gWidgetsRGtk2 (or RGtk2), it asks me:
> "Instal GTK+?"
>
> I installed RGtk2 (version 2.14.3 from
> http://r.research.att.com/gtk2-runtime.dmg ),

That is a version of Gtk+ aka GTK2, not RGtk2, and as the
http://r.research.att.com page says, it is the wrong one for your OS
version.

> and added a path:
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin

Why?  Nothing in RGtk2 is running executables.

> But next time I try to load gWidgetsRGtk2 (or RGtk2), I get the same
> message: "Instal GTK+?" And of course all packages dependent from
> RGtk2 are not loading.
>
> I also tried to install GTK 2.18.5-X11.pkg (from
> http://r.research.att.com/libs/GTK_2.18.5-X11.pkg ) - but in this
> case when I try to load RGtk2 - R hangs.

That's the setup that should work.  But do check that you have the
correct version of RGtk2 installed, since a couple of versions did
hang on startup (from memory, one was 2.12.16).  The current binary
version is 2.12.15 (which works for me on i386 and x86_64), but the
source version is at 2.12.18.

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk