[R-SIG-Mac] non-intel compiling; clarification

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Feb 10 21:05:02 CET 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 4:36 AM, Robin Hankin wrote:

> [replying to self]
>
> Should have made it clear that I want to compile
> packages (which include C/C++) for testing before
> putting on CRAN, and I don't have an intel
> machine available.
>
> FAQ 5.3 seems to suggest I use XCode  >=2.4.0 (I have 3.0 installed).
> FAQ 5.4 doesn't apply because it  needs  an intel  computer.
>
> sorry for not being clear first time

It's still not clear to me since there is no reason at all why you mention Xcode 3.2.1 (which is not even for your system). Your options are the ones you stated yourself. If you have installed the Leopard build then you need Xcode 3.1 or higher (the most recent for Leopard is Xcode 3.1.4). If you have the Tiger build then you need Xcode 2.4 or higher -- see
http://r.research.att.com/tools/
In practice I see no reason to use old Xcode versions so you may as well install 3.1.4 if you have anything older than 3.1.0.