[R-SIG-Mac] learning R

Pfister pfister at uni-lueneburg.de
Sat Dec 11 13:54:55 CET 2010

As Carl said, a learning curve plots performance (knowledge) as a
function of time, at least that is how it has been used in psychology
and the learning sciences for a hundred years. So a "steep" learning
curve implies "easy to learn" .... but the metaphor of being "steep" =
"hard to climb" = "difficult" seems to be intuitively compelling for
many people, so I gave up on correcting people on the wrong use of
"steep learning curve" ;-)

Rüdiger Pfister