[R-SIG-Mac] R for Mac, good enough?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 9 09:03:29 CET 2010

On 03-12-2010, at 09:33, Deniz Kellecioglu wrote:

> Dear R and Mac friend,
>
> I am rather impressed by R, but dont know if it is worthwile to spend time learning it, if the Mac version is not comprehensive enough. I am a PhD student in macroeconometrics, with focus on time-series.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the Mac version of R. It just works.
It is more than excellent.
The GUI R.app is easy and fun to use.
Commandline R works just fine.
32-bit and 64-bit version.
All thanks to the work of Simon Urbanek.

And there is a brilliant interface to R for the TextMate editor.

> Would you recommend me to use R in that case? And which material and packages would you recommend to go trough and download?

Goto CRAN and download the installer package for Mac OS X: R-2.12.0.pkg
If you haven't worked with R before, you should look at the Rintro manual.
Goto CRAN and click on Manuals; you'll be taken to the page with an overview of R documentation.

For further packages you can have a look at Task Views (also on CRAN). Have a look at the TimeSeries view.

Enjoy.

/Berend