[R-SIG-Mac] Failed tar extract due to symlinks put in place by Rswitch

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 20 03:26:05 CEST 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to install macosx tools to a new Mac Pro.
> When I attempt to install the devpack
>   sudo tar fvxz /Users/stevenmckinney/Software/R/R-2.10.1/devpack4-darwin8-bin4.tar.gz  -C /
> the tar extract fails due to symlink issues, related to symlinks
> set up by Rswitch.

Rswitch does not setup any such symlinks. However, if you used Rswitch to switch to a broken version of R that would do the job.

> Has anyone else encountered this issue, and know of a fix?

It seems as if you don't have a valid R installation -- please make sure you install R before unpacking the dev pack. If in doubt nuke /Library/Frameworks/R.framework and re-install R from CRAN.