[R-SIG-Mac] Issue with spelling in Aquamacs

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 10:50:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, johannes rara wrote:

> I'm having the same problem with Aquamacs (I'm Aquamacs noob) and R. E.g.
>
>> setwd("/Documents/Tämä")
> Error in setwd("/Documents/T\344m\344") : cannot change working directory
>
> Any ideas what's wrong?

You've not (neither of you) told us the 'at a minimum' information
required in the posting guide, so you have made it unnecessarily
difficult to help you debug your mistakes.  This is a symptom of
sending (e.g.) latin-1 text to R running in a UTF-8 locale.  So check
sessionInfo() (run in the same way you send these commands) and check
the encoding of your Aquamacs buffers.

And I suspect you are using ESS to send code from Aquamacs to R, so
see the R FAQ Q6.1 for where to ask for further help.