[R-SIG-Mac] compiling packages for 64 bit architecture

Tue Sep 22 16:57:37 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sep 22, 2009, at 1:36 AM, Christophe Dutang wrote:

> Thanks for the tips, it works now.
>
> Since randtoolbox depends on rngWELL, which also has a configure
> file, I need to the following to compile randtoolbox for both
> architectures:
> - for i386,
> 	- rm *.o  in rngWELL/src
> 	- R --arch=i386 CMD INSTALL --libs-only rngWELL
> 	- rm *.o  in randtoolbox/src
> 	- R --arch=i386 CMD INSTALL --libs-only randtoolbox
> - for x86_64,
> 	- rm *.o  in rngWELL/src
> 	- R --arch=x86_64 CMD INSTALL --libs-only rngWELL
> 	- rm *.o  in randtoolbox/src
> 	- R --arch= x86_64 CMD INSTALL --libs-only randtoolbox
>
> If I want to avoid to manually remove object files in src directory,
> can I use a makefile in this directory?

Sure, why not? If it's not there, you can make one yourself, no? We
can provide an example, if that's what you're after.

I'm not sure how to get R to run a custom Makefile tho (R-gurus: can
you?)

> Do you advise me to install packages in a different directory than
> R_HOME/library using -l option?

I think this is a matter of personal taste. I just install all of my
libs in the "system" directory, and don't specify a personal one, but
then again: my os x box is just a single user machine.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou