[R-SIG-Mac] Missing pkg-config and glib

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Sep 19 00:40:24 CEST 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 6:28 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> On Sep 18, 2009, at 17:40 , David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to have some missing or broken parts to my Leopard
>>> installation. After again attempting to install the Gtk+ dmg inked
>>> from the  http://r.research.att.com/#other page I get no error.
>>> But attempting to build from source a bioconductor package, Ruuid,
>>> I am again seeing an error
>>>
>>> checking for pkg-config... no
>>>

>> You have to set
>> PATH=/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin:$PATH
>> if you want to compile GTK+ packages from sources (although that
>> should not be necessary because BioC provides binaries ...). Also
>> the choice of compilers can be tricky with GTK+...
>
> There is no binary Ruuid that shows up in the BioConductor
> repository with the 64bit GUI Package Installer, although there is a
> version that is downloadable with the 32 bit version.

Well, yes, we don't provide 64-bit version of GTK+ (the build is for
Tiger which doesn't have sufficient 64-bit libraries), so that's why
there is no 64-bit version of packages that require GTK+.

> $ PATH=/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin:$PATH
> $ echo $PATH
>
> /Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/dev/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/
> sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/
> X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> (There is no /bin folder in the /Resources/ sub-directory when I
> look with Finder.app.

.. then you have some other GTK+ framework (maybe the old runtime?).
The current one is at
http://r.research.att.com/gtk2-framework.dmg
but, again, that one is not 64-bit. If it is of interest I could look
into updating it, but it's usually a quite demanding endeavor so
probably not before next week.