[R-SIG-Mac] Missing pkg-config and glib

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 23:40:17 CEST 2009

I seem to have some missing or broken parts to my Leopard
installation. After again attempting to install the Gtk+ dmg inked
from the  http://r.research.att.com/#other page I get no error. But
attempting to build from source a bioconductor package, Ruuid, I am
again seeing an error

checking for pkg-config... no

... that I have seen several times before, as well as one which Mark
Morgan on r-help says is due to a missing Gtk+ library.

 > source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
 > biocLite("Ruuid", type="source")
Using R version 2.9.2, biocinstall version 2.4.12.
Installing Bioconductor version 2.4 packages:
[1] "Ruuid"
Please wait...

Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
dependencies,  :
   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/davidwinsemius/Library/R/
2.9/library'
trying URL 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.4/bioc/src/contrib/Ruuid_1.22.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 71857 bytes (70 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 70 Kb

* Installing *source* package ‘Ruuid’ ...
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for glib-config... no
configure: error: No glib package information found
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Ruuid’
* Removing ‘/Users/davidwinsemius/Library/R/2.9/library/Ruuid’
* Restoring previous ‘/Users/davidwinsemius/Library/R/2.9/library/Ruuid’

(I had been able to install the Ruuid package within the 32 bit R GUI.
And I can also build biocLite from source from the 64 bit GUI without
any reported errors.)

What should I be looking for to understand and restore my defective
pkg-config capabilities?

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories