[R-SIG-Mac] Xcode and R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 23:20:56 CEST 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 4:49 PM, thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2009, at 04:21, Christophe Dutang wrote:
>
>> Does someone know if there is a way Xcode highlights the R syntax?
>> just like aquamacs does?
>
> I think that's something you'd have to do yourself. It involves
> creating two files, e.g.
>
> R.xclangspec
> R.pbfilespec
>
> that include the keywords and directions to Xcode. I don't know the
> details of the internals of these files, but you can Google the
> terms "xclangspec" and "pbfilespec". I'm attaching two files that
> you can use as a starting point (I copied the python files to use as
> a template). I haven't been able to get them to work though.
> Finally, you'll need to install them in:
>
> ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer Tools/Specifications

Thats not where I find such files on my system. All the .xclangspec
files are in one directory
~me$ find /Developer -name \*.xclangspec
/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/XcodeEdit.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/Ada.xclangspec
/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/XcodeEdit.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/BaseSupport.xclangspec
/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/XcodeEdit.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/C++.xclangspec
Snipped remaining 20 or so versions

Some of the .pbfilespec files are there althought there a acouple of
other spots as well:

~me$ find /Developer -name \*.pbfilespec
/Developer/Applications/Dashcode.app/Contents/Frameworks/
CYKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Cayenne.pbfilespec
/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DevToolsCore.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/Built-in file types.pbfilespec
/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DevToolsCore.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/Standard file types.pbfilespec
/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/IBCompilerPlugin.xcplugin/Contents/
Resources/Interface Builder File Types.pbfilespec
/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XdesignCompilerPlugin.xcplugin/
Contents/Resources/Xdesign file types.pbfilespec

> I think. :)
>
> Let us know if you can get it to work.

When I drag those two files to that directory, Xcode does some
highlighting but only of non-reserved words and comments, and also
does "(" and "{" matching if you move the cursor forward over a ")" or
"}", but not if the cursor is moved backwards.)  Also shows some code
completion. I'm not sure what was _supposed_ to happen, but I do see
some behavior that suggests _some_ of those efforts were having a
desired effect.

--
David.