[R-SIG-Mac] [R] 64-bit OSX binary for 2.9.2

Loren Engrav engrav at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 15 04:59:50 CEST 2009

Cool, let us hope this 123 lasts for a time, I must store it

I sudo tar'd it and the warnings went away

Will go on with 5455s as the 5426s fail on this Snow Leopard

Thank you

--
Loren Engrav, MD
Professor and Chief, Plastic Surgery, 1977-2001

> [...]
>>
>> 2-2.9.2 seems to function OK after simple testing; is that warning
>> insignificant
>
> Long version:
>
> This is because you need to run the "tar" command as a user who has
> privileges to write to the directory that the files are being
> uncompressed to.
>
> Short version:
>
> 2c of David's commands should be:
>
> 2. c) click on the Terminal window and
>    (i) Type (without quotes): "sudo "
>    (ii) Paste in the tar command: cmd-V to paste-in that command.
>
> So, the command to execute at 2c in your terminal is:
>
> $ sudo tar fvxz R*.tar.gz -C /
>
> I would do this again to ensure you have all of the 2.9.2 "parts" in
> there (ie, don't assume that everything was OK when you did it and got
> all those "permission denied" warnings/errors).
>
>> 3-R.app available at http://r.research.att.com/ is 5426 but 5455 32
>> and 64
>> bit available at
>> http://r.research.att.com/R-GUI-5455-2.9-leopard-Leopard.dmg as per
>> 8/6/09
>> r-sig-mac discussion so I put in 5455; but why 5426 here and 5455
>> there?
>
> I don't have an answer for that, 5455 is a later build of the .app, so
> if it's working for you, I guess just go ahead and keep using that
> one. Otherwise, fall back to the one on the site.
>
> Hope that helps some,
>
> -steve
>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Loren Engrav, MD
>> U Washington
>>

>>> From: David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>
>>> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:00:52 -0400
>>> Cc: r-help <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>, ivo welch
>>> <ivo_welch at brown.edu>,
>>> "r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch" <r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>>> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [R] 64-bit OSX binary for 2.9.2

>>> The problem may arise for  *NIX-newbies ( a group in which I still
>>> claim membership)  that they are unable to operationalize that
>>> message. For one thing they may not even know how to open a Terminal
>>> window. For another they may not know that the "/" at the end of that
>>> command will take care of "unpacking at the root", so they will not
>>> need to navigate away from the place that they find themselves when
>>> Terminal opens up a bash session.  The steps broken down would be
>>> something along these lines:
>>>
>>> First : Download the nightly build, and select "Save to file" rather
>>> than opening with Stuffit, and then it by default should end up in
>>> the
>>> <user>/Downloads/ folder.
>>>
>>> 1. a-c) Go to the Utilities folder of the Applications folder and
>>> double-click on Terminal.app
>>> 2. a) Go back to the browser and select the string:  tar fvxz
>>> R*.tar.gz -C /
>>>
>>> (I would solicit some input here from more competent UNIXers
>>> regarding
>>> whether one would ever need to prefix this command with sudo.)

>>> 2. c) click on the Terminal window and cmd-V to paste-in that
>>> command.
>>> 2 d) use the arrow and backspace keys (since mouse-clicking does not
>>> change the cursor position in Terminal sessions) to delete the
>>> "R*.tar.gz" on the command line.
>>>
>>> 3 a) Navigate with the Finder to the Downloads/ folder and locate the
>>> R<build>. Click-drag that file to the Terminal window and