[R-SIG-Mac] rnorm.halton

Anirban Mukherjee anirbanm at smu.edu.sg
Tue Sep 15 03:55:12 CEST 2009

Sorry, but of course.

rnorm.halton should be "almost" identical to rnorm (rnorm gives draws
from a 0 mean, 1sd Normal). Halton sequences (amongst other things)
allow one to draw from the normal in a "more intelligent" fashion when
integrating. Using hist, you should see the classic "bell curve"
centered around 0. Almost identical to

hist(rnorm(1000), plot=TRUE)

The 32 bit "version" gives the bell curve. My 64 bit version gives a
totally different plot (nothing subtle) ... some times with only
positive values for all 100 draws. My 64 bit version of rnorm.halton
also often outputs a bunch of NaNs. If both your plots look like a
bell curve, the problem is on my machine/end.

Thanks very much: do greatly appreciate it.

Best,
Anirban

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Anirban Mukherjee <anirbanm at smu.edu.sg>
> wrote:
>> To add:
>>
>> If I try to install using the mac.binary, it tells me (on opening the
>> 64 bit app) that the package is not installed for x64. And does not
>> let me load the library when using 64 bit mode. However, if I install
>> the package from source, then it installs for x64, but gives me weird
>> results.
>>
>> Again: would appreciate if some one could confirm so that I can
>> contact the authors and let them know. I do need Halton normals for
>> some thing I am working on, and I am sitting right on that borderline
>> point where the memory constraints of the 32 bit app are making me
>> lose sleep ...
>
> I wouldn't know what to look for to tell you if it's going wrong or not.
>
> I have no idea about anything related to financial modeling and don't
> have the fOptions package installed anyway.
>
> Perhaps if you post the two images you get:
> i. what you expect to see/what you get from 32bit
> ii. the wrong image that you're getting from the 64bit version
>
> One of us can confirm/deny that we get the same thing.
>
> Otherwise, I really can't give you an educated answer w/o having to
> looking into what this 'halton' stuff is anyway ...
>
> So .. help us help you :-)
>
> I'm not sitting at a 64 bit machine atm, so hopefully someone else can
> help you before I get back to school tomorrow ...
>
> -steve
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
>  | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Anirban Mukherjee | Assistant Professor, Marketing | LKCSB, SMU
5062 School of Business, 50 Stamford Road, Singapore 178899 | +65-6828-1932