[R-SIG-Mac] JGR on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Sep 14 16:25:27 CEST 2009

Michael,

On Sep 14, 2009, at 8:44 , Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I'm sorry to say that I've tried and failed to set up 64-bit R 2.9.2
> and JGR.
>
> (1) It's not clear to me where on http://r.research.att.com/ to
> download from. (I searched for "snow", since all else assumed that I
> know what I'm doing.)
>
> (2) I don't understand why you say (below) to download 2.9.0 rather
> than 2.9.2.

On the above webpage it says:

"Leopard build" (available in 32-bit and 64-bit) and the Download is
R-2.9.0.pkg. That is the installer for all-archs (32+64 bit) R 2.9.0 -
and this is the option a) I was talking about and it's the option that
doesn't assume you know what you're doing - it's simply the package
installer as on CRAN.

Higher up it says "R-2.9-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz" and in the
table you can infer that it's R 2.9.2 patched (nightly build). This is
the option b) which assumes you know how to unpack a tar ball manually:
sudo tar fxz R-2.9-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz -C /

The reason I said take 2.9.0 was because it's the fool proof method.
[I don't have an installer for 64-bit R 2.9.2 yet because it's not
automated due to changes in the PM].

> So could you please give step by step fool-proof instructions?
> (Right now, after fiddling, I can't launch R or JGR.)

Please follow the instructions in the e-mail below - I was hoping
they are fool proof :). Do you have any suggestions to make the R for
Mac webpage more obvious?