[R-SIG-Mac] Building package from source error "file is not of required architecture"

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 21:41:42 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Peter Cowan wrote:
>
>> Bouncing to the list after failing to reply-all
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Simon Urbanek
>> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> you have probably compiled ncl in 64-bit (default on SL) but you're using
>>> 32-bit R, so it won't work. Either use 64-bit R or compile ncl for
>>> 32-bit.
>>
>> I suspected something obvious of the like.  Unfortunately, I've not been
>> able to get 64 bit R working for me.  When I try the following for the CRAN
>> version:
>>
>> Birch$ R --arch x86_64
>> /usr/bin/R: line 207:
>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/x86_64/ldpaths: No such
>> file or directory
>>

> Yes, CRAN R is 32-bit only.

Yes, this makes sense, but I was a bit confused by this comment on
r.research.att.com

"Leopard builds, 64-bit binaries and packages are becoming available
from CRAN as of R 2.8.0."
Does that mean r.research.att.com ?  I don't find a link on CRAN.

>> So I got the 2.9.2 patched version distributed as a tar.gz from
>> <http://r.research.att.com/> (thanks for providing this Simon!), but that
>> doesn't work with the 64bit GUI build on the same site (it won't even
>> launch, because it need 2.10.0).
>>

> Oh, true, the 2.9 GUI is simply not there. I'll have to look to see what
> went wrong.

Thanks!

>> So I installed the 32/64 Universal 2.9.0,
>
> [BTW: you can simply overwrite the installation with the 2.9.2 patched
> binary to upgrade it - the only part you really needed from the universal
> package was the GUI]

Okay, I was concerned there might be a version mismatch between 2.9.2
and the 2.9.0 gui so I didn't do that.  BTW is the repository for the
GUI public?  I see the .tar on CRAN.

>> but now building any package gives errors [1] perhaps because SL doesn't
>> install ppc64 libraries?
>
> Yes, unfortunately. The hot fix is
> rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/ppc*

Brilliant!  This works perfectly.  Thank you for not only contributing
software but patiently helping me understand it.

Peter