[R-SIG-Mac] Building package from source error "file is not of required architecture"

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:05:23 CEST 2009

Bouncing to the list after failing to reply-all

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> you have probably compiled ncl in 64-bit (default on SL) but you're using
> 32-bit R, so it won't work. Either use 64-bit R or compile ncl for 32-bit.

I suspected something obvious of the like.  Unfortunately, I've not
been able to get 64 bit R working for me.  When I try the following
for the CRAN version:

Birch$ R --arch x86_64
/usr/bin/R: line 207:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/x86_64/ldpaths: No such
file or directory

So I got the 2.9.2 patched version distributed as a tar.gz from
<http://r.research.att.com/> (thanks for providing this Simon!), but
that doesn't work with the 64bit GUI build on the same site (it won't
even launch, because it need 2.10.0).

So I installed the 32/64 Universal 2.9.0, but now building any package
gives errors [1] perhaps because SL doesn't install ppc64 libraries?
I the same (or similar warning) using the R-devel nightly.

I apologize if this to is obvious.  When I install xcode, do I need to
install the tools for prior OSs to get ppc compilers?

[1]
======
(WARNING: partial output only, ask package author to use Rprintf instead!)
newick.c: In function ‘readNewickString’:
newick.c:233: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
ld: warning: in /usr/lib/dylib1.10.5.o, missing required architecture
ppc64 in file
ld: warning: in /usr/lib/libSystemStubs.a, missing required
architecture ppc64 in file
ld: warning: in
/System/Library/Frameworks//CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation,
missing required architecture ppc64 in file
ld: warning: in /usr/lib/libSystem.dylib, missing required
architecture ppc64 in file
ld: in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib, missing required architecture ppc64 in file
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ape.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘ape’
* Removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/ape’
* Restoring previous
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/ape’
========