[R-SIG-Mac] filled.contours and quartz() problem

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Fri Oct 30 16:05:38 CET 2009

has someone tried `filled.contours' with a `quartz' device?

for me, contrary to using `X11' the display is corrupted by
visible rendering of all contour lines (looks as if `contour'
output is overlayed on the image with a thin line width in a
whitish color) as well as the pixel boundaries .

the same happens, when I first draw to `X11' and then
`dev.print' to a pdf-file: with `gv' under X everything looks fine,
using `PreView' under Aqua looks like the `quartz' ouput.

I know that Apple's pdf rendering engine used to be buggy (don't know
if this is still true) but I'm not sure that this is the reason.

it seems that somehow gaps of one screen-pixel are introduced between
the constant-color patches.

is this known? can something be done about this?

regards,
joerg

ps: partly the problems occur with `image', too: here the quartz display
of looks ok, but viewing the same image after dev.print(pdf) shows the
image pixels separated by (I presume one) screen-pixel gaps. viewing
the pdf-output with `xpdf' on a linux machine showed similar behaviour.