[R-SIG-Mac] Korean in quartz() device.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 30 08:24:25 CET 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Dong-hyun Oh wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I run R-2.9.2 on the Snow Leopard 10.6.1 OS system. The default language of
> the OS is english.
>
> I want to plot a very simple graph with Korean letters on a quartz() device,
> but it fails. Korean Letters appear as being squares.

We don't have a reproducible example, but this usually indicates that
the font you are using does not contain the glyphs you are requesting.

> The same command works fine in Windows systems.

Unlikely, as quartz() does not exist on Windows, and on the windows()
the font selection is crucial for CJK glyphs.  How about the X11()
device?

> My question is how can I draw or typeset Korean letters in quartz()
> device on SL OS?

Probably, select a suitable font.  If you can prepare a reproducible
example (see the posting guide) we may be able to help further.
Please use \uxxxx or put the example on a website, as mailers frequent
mangle non-ASCII content or attachments.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk