[R-SIG-Mac] Problem upgrading to R version 2.10.0.

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Oct 28 00:11:52 CET 2009

From: r-sig-mac-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [r-sig-mac-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Rolf Turner [r.turner at auckland.ac.nz]
Sent: October 27, 2009 2:59 PM
To: Simon Urbanek
Cc: R-Sig Mac
Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Problem upgrading to R version 2.10.0.

On 28/10/2009, at 10:34 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

        <snip>

> Well, if that's all you want then just go to
> http://r.research.att.com/

        Thanks, I'll try that ... but why isn't that directly available
        on CRAN?  Or at least pointed to there?  In other words, how
        would I have known to go there if you hadn't told me?

It's there, visit http://cran.r-project.org/, select the MacOS X option in the "Download and
Install R" area, then look down near the bottom of that page to see

 Information, tools and most recent daily builds of the R GUI, R-patched and R-devel can be
 found at http://R.research.att.com/. Please visit that page especially during beta stages to
 help us test the Mac OS X binaries before final release! The page has links to other builds,
 including a 'Leopart build' which includes 64-bit architectures.

HTH

Steve McKinney

>> but I seem to be thwarted at every turn.  Can anyone help me out?
>>

> It seems as if you're trying to compile 64-bit version of R on Tiger
> which won't work. Without further details on the tools you installed,
> exact OS version and the like there is not much we can help with
> (please have a look at the R for Mac FAQ).

        I certainly didn't ***want*** to build a 64-bit version.  I
        just downloaded the tar file file and went thought the usual
        routine.

        Is there some ``flag'' that I should set to obtain a build of
        a 32-bit version?  I would have thought that this would be the
        default.

                cheers,

                        Rolf Turner