[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit packages and 32-bit R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 26 13:45:15 CET 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:42 AM, Richard R. Liu wrote:

> I'm running R 2.9.2 build 5464 on OS X 10.5.8.  Having encountered
> memory allocation problems, I ran the problematic code in R64, the
> 64-bit version of the same build.  When I attempt to load openNLP I
> receive the error message that the 32-bit version that I had been
> using does not run in R64.
>
> I understand that there is a 64-bit version of openNLP, and that it
> installs in R64 without problems.  I am assuming, however, that
> packages installed by 32-bit R and those installed by 64-bit R land
> in the same place, because I can see the 32-bit packages in the
> package list of 64-bit R. So my question is, when I subsequently
> switch to R (32-bit), will 64-bit versions of packages run there?
> I'm trying to avoid constantly having to manually switch between 32-
> and 64-bit versions of packages.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Leopard build -- in that case
both 32-bit and 64-bit are part parts of the same R and package --
they are not a 'different package'. Please read about sub-
architectures in R documentation to understand the details if you
desire, but you are not supposed to "switch" anything. The only
problems you can cause is to forget to upgrade your packages when you
installed the Leopard build.