[R-SIG-Mac] 2.10.0 beta help functions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 17 13:10:46 CEST 2009

help.search() now works in today's snapshot (and has caught up with
2.10.0 beta), but did not in yesterday's.

Also, today's manages to install R.app and R64.app in Applications
(the last two day's did not, even after I uninstalled those apps).

capabilities('tiff') reports no native TIFF support (someone who
patently failed to RFTM called it 'misleading' recently despite the
prominent NOTE on the help page): I thought you intended to add it?

Another thought for consideration: the Windows binary builds now have
memory profiling turned on because although there is a small
performance penalty, it seemed better to allow end users for do
R-level memory debugging without needing to recompile R from the
sources.  Might be worth it for Mac users too?

I did some Snow Leopard builds of 2.10.0 beta yesterday (on a machine
that had been upgraded from Leopard, which may be relevant as we found
some oddities, and will re-install it from scratch).

1) configure failed to find the X libraries (even though they were
present), because it seems that /usr/X11/lib is no longer in the
default ld search path.  We've seen something similar reported before,
and e.g. LIBS=-L/usr/X11/lib fixed it.

2) I tried building (x86_64) with llvm-gcc and clang.  The build with
llvm-gcc failed with an internal compiler error in datetime.c.  The
build with clang almost worked, but had a configure error in package
foreign.  The claims that clang was a faster compiler were obviously
true, but the claims for better error messages seemed untrue: some
were clearer but some were a lot more confused (not that production
code is a good test of error messages).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk