[R-SIG-Mac] package management system: Fink vs MacPorts?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 16:54:54 CEST 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:10 , Christian Kleiber wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am currently configuring a Mac Pro running SL.
>>
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2009-September/006468.html
>>
>> suggests there are issues with Fink.
>>

> There are issues with Fink if you try to mix Fink and native system (see
> below), but that's also true for MacPorts.
>

>> I am familiar with building R packages but I have never built R
>> from source (this might change, however).
>
> This doesn't answer your question, but why wouldn't you use the released R
> binaries?

Because you want the very latest patches, or you want different
configure options ....

I build R on my Macs (L and SL) all the time from the sources, and
have neither Fink nor MacPorts installed.  If you want your builds to
be compatible with the CRAN/r.research.att.com builds of packages you
need to set up the configure options carefully and be careful what you
have in /usr/local/lib, but it can be done.  (I'm not going to give
the recipe here, as it does change from time to time and these lists
are archived -- I have had too many emails which say 'your posting was
wrong' when it was correct in 2007 or 2004 or 1999 ....)