[R-SIG-Mac] Built on Mac, Installing on Windows - should this work?

Bryan Hanson hanson at depauw.edu
Mon Nov 30 20:30:06 CET 2009

Hello Folks, thanks for the suggestions.  I did what Simon suggested.  And I
did what Ducan suggested, namely to use Uwe's building service.  I think
both of these produced the same set of files (though I don't know how to
check rigorously).  So I moved these two archives, along with my source
archive, over to the Windows machine.  I tried installing all of them via
the GUI dialog boxes, and when that didn't work, I tried doing it from the
command line.

I'm pretty certain I'm now no longer in the Mac realm :-( and I'm pretty
certain I'm missing something obvious.  It looks like it can't find the
file, but the paths and names look right to me.  If one unstuffs these
manually they look like they have the files.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.   The transcript from what I did is immediately below.

Thanks, Bryan
*************
Bryan Hanson
Acting Chair
Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry
DePauw University, Greencastle IN USA

> getwd()
[1] "C:/Documents and Settings/Chemistry 1/Desktop"
> list.files()
[1] "ChemoSpec_1.31-SU.zip" "ChemoSpec_1.31-UL.zip" "ChemoSpec_1.31.tar.gz"
"outcome.txt"

# the next few steps are attempts at manual installations:
> install.packages(pkgs = "ChemoSpec_1.31-SU.zip", repos = NULL)
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'ChemoSpec_1.31-SU/DESCRIPTION', probable
reason 'No such file or directory'
> install.packages(pkgs = "ChemoSpec_1.31.tar.gz", repos = NULL, type =
"source")
* installing *source* package 'ChemoSpec' ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Warning in library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE,
lib.loc = lib.loc) :
  there is no package called 'chemometrics'
Error : package 'chemometrics' could not be loaded
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'ChemoSpec'
* removing 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-210~1.0/library/ChemoSpec'
* restoring previous 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-210~1.0/library/ChemoSpec'
Warning message:
In install.packages(pkgs = "ChemoSpec_1.31.tar.gz", repos = NULL,  :
  installation of package 'ChemoSpec_1.31.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status

# the next few are the attempts with the GUI dialog boxes
> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'ChemoSpec_1.31-SU/DESCRIPTION', probable
reason 'No such file or directory'
> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'ChemoSpec_1.31-UL/DESCRIPTION', probable
reason 'No such file or directory'
> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'ChemoSpec_1.31.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable
reason 'No such file or directory'
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.10.0

>>> http://www.depauw.edu/acad/chemistry/