[R-SIG-Mac] Built on Mac, Installing on Windows - should this work?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Nov 30 17:32:43 CET 2009

On 30/11/2009 11:10 AM, Bryan Hanson wrote:
> Hi R Mac Folks... A question about using Mac-built pkgs on the dreaded
> Windows machines.
>
> I have successfully checked, built and installed a package on my Mac.  The
> package tarball is at github.com/bryanhanson/ChemoSpec if you care to try
> installing it.  It was checked and built with defaults, so I did
>
> > R CMD check ChemoSpec
> > R CMD build ChemoSpec
>
> And everything was fine.  I can install it and run it on my Mac no problem.
> I believe it is a ³source² package ­ there is no compiled code, it¹s all
> straightfoward R.
>
> Now, I want to test the installation on Windows (because students have to
> use it next semester).  I¹m having a variety of problems getting it upzipped
> and installed.  Before I spend a lot of time trouble shooting the Windows
> aspect, and here¹s my question, should this package as I built it and so
> forth work on  Windows without modification?  Or do I have to do the
> check/build with different options?  Or do I have to do the entire process
> on a Windows machine (pray not!).  I¹ve looked around in the manuals and
> help pages a bit, there doesn¹t seem to be any hint that a different process
> is needed.

The source tarball (the .tar.gz file) would be fine on Windows, but most
Windows users don't have the tools to install it.  Since you don't have
any compiled code it's probably not hard to put together a zip file
equivalent to what R CMD INSTALL --binary would produce on Windows, but
it's probably easier to use Uwe Ligge's package building service,
available at http://129.217.207.166.

Duncan Murdoch