[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk errors from command line R

Peter Meilstrup peter.meilstrup at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:23:03 CET 2009

I often get errors like the following when trying to use a package
that uses Tcl/Tk, under command-line R (2.10.0) or R via ESS, etc. I
haven't been able to google anything useful on the error text. Does
anyone know what the fix might be?

 > install.packages(ggplot2)
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error in structure(.External("dotTclObjv", objv, PACKAGE = "tcltk"),
class = "tclObj") :
   [tcl] bad pad value "2m": must be positive screen distance.

On the occasions where it did work, the X11 Tk windows that came up
were not as nice as the interface that shows in R.app. I found out
about options(device="quartz") to get the nice quartz plot windows in
command line R; is there an equivalent for the UI windows, or are they
limited to R.app?

Peter