[R-SIG-Mac] R.app intractable history problem

vi vishyiyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:03:29 CET 2009

Thanks for all the responses! Just some answers to the questions:

- I don't have anything in my .Rprofile, .First and .Last. In fact I
don't have these files on my computer, they were not created by me or
by R.

- 'Read history file on startup' item is indeed checked in the Startup
preferences panel

- "that folder" in my d&d comment refers to the folder I drag and drop
onto the R icon in dock. In this case, .Rhistory is created on exit in
the folder I dropped. As Rob mentioned, this is the correct behavior
when the "Always apply" is unchecked in prefs. But for me
the .Rhistory file always remains blank even though it's created in
the correct location.

- Most bizzare for me is that no matter what file name I enter for the
history file in prefs, with or without dot (ie, ~/myhistory
OR .myhistory OR myhistory OR myname OR ~/xxx/yyy/myname OR /Users/me/
xxx/yyy/myfile.txt or whatever), it ALWAYS goes back to .Rhistory
after I quit, and the file is ALWAYS empty. But it IS created in the
location I specify, in addition to a copy of .Rhistory in my home
directory.

- I do hit return after entering the path/filename in the prefs box.
Thanks to Loren and others who'd worked this out earlier.

My behavior also seems to be different from William Doane (thanks Rob,
I'd missed that exchange in my searching). It's one of these things
where I initially thought I was missing something obvious so I haven't
tried upgrading yet, but I agree I should upgrade (will probably do a
fresh install of 2.10) and hope it works.