[R-SIG-Mac] Building from source problems.

Sun Nov 1 21:48:51 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>        Checking on what I've got (following your instructions) I
>        found that I have version 2.5 of Xcode.
>
>        That appears to be the latest version of Xcode that runs on
>        Tiger.  The web page indicates that Xcode 2.5 dates from
>        November 2007 which was about when I first installed Xcode.
>        So re-installing Xcode 2.5 won't do any good.

It might do some good, because it's possible that something got hosed ...

>        (On Friday I mistakenly tried installing Xcode 3.1.3 or something
>        like that, but of course that won't/doesn't/didn't work on Tiger.)
>
>        So how do I get gcc-4.2 for my OS? (Mac OS X 10.4.11).  Is this
>        possible?

The thing is, I'm not sure that you can. The "best" way to get the
'correct" gcc compilers for your system is through the latest XCode
available for your OS version. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that
XCode 2.5 even has gcc 4.2, for some reason I think it only has 3.3 or
4.0.x ... of course I can be mistaken.

Is it possible 4.2 came on your system from somewhere else? Did you
try to install from the HPC compilers before?

I have a Tiger machine sitting next to me at home, but it has XCode
2.0. I'm d/ling 2.5 to check and see if it comes with gcc-4.2 just in
case ... I'll post back with those results when it's done d/ling and
installing (I guess I should update it anyway ...).

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou