[R-SIG-Mac] problems installing rgdal on mac osx 10.5.6

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 26 08:51:53 CEST 2009

I think you should ask on the R-sig-Geo list: its arhives contain
recent entries about building rgdal on Mac OS X. one of which I have
used to give you a hint inline below.

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Viscarra Rossel, Raphael (CLW, Black Mountain) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install rgdal on my mac but I am having problems.
>
> I downloaded the gdal, proj, geos... from http://www.kyngchaos.com/doku.php?id=software:frameworks
>  and installed them by double clicking the mpkg in the dmg folders
>
> Then, I also downloaded the rgdal package (rgdal 0.6.8-2 - R 2.9
> package) from this site and now I am trying to install it in R version
> 2.9.0 (2009-04-17).
>
> I tried to install from terminal with:
> R CMD INSTALL --configure-args="/Users/..mypath.../rgdal/"
> rgdal_0.6-8.tar.gz"
>
> but not much happens....the prompt just sits at ' > '

That really doesn't help us: we need an exact record of what you did.
But I don't see that --configure-args can be right, as you did not
give a configure argument, which are like "--foo=bar".  For a real
example see

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2009-April/005544.html

which indicates how to specify paths for a framework.

> I also tried through R with install.packages using:
> > install.packages("rgdal_0.6-8.tar.gz", "/Users/..mypath.../rgdal/")

You need 'type="source"' if you intend to build from the sources on a
CRAN binary build of R: you really ought to have repos=NULL too.
Please do read the help page (we asked you to do so before posting in
the posting guide).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk