[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling packages with specific gcc

Tue May 5 19:05:32 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm wondering if/where I can go to tell R to use a specific version of
my gcc compiler when installing packages from source, via
`install.packages("...", type='source')` or when running `R CMD
INSTALL some_source_packge.tar.gz` from the command line.

The reason I ask is because I've downloaded gcc-4.4 from HPC/OSX[1],
and it unfortunately puts the compilers in /usr/local/bin/gcc, w/o
version info (it would be nice if it were /usr/local/bin/gcc-4.4). R
tries to use this when compiling, but these compilers do not support
the "-arch=..." flags, so it bombs.

I've been hunting around in the tools:::.install_packges code and also
the "R Installation and Adminstration"[2] document, but can't find
what I'm looking for. I have a feeling that perhaps I can put
something into my ~/.R/Makevars, or ~/.R/Makevars-i386-apple-
darwin8.11.1 file, but I'm just taking stabs at the dark, so not
having much luck.

I can work around this by temporarily removing /usr/local/bin from my
path when trying to `R CMD INSTALL` packages by source, but I was
hoping there might be a more elegant solution. The fact that
installing by source gets the `make` command from the system
environment makes me a bit hopeful, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks for any help,

-steve

[1] HPC/OSX: http://hpc.sourceforge.net/
[2] R Install/admin: http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Linear-algebra

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos