[R-SIG-Mac] cblas on Mac and Linux

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Mar 20 19:23:44 CET 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 13:14 , Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> There are Apple specific defines in GCC. As far as I know
> __APPLE__
> means compiling on Apple hardware, whereas
> __APPLE_CC__
> means compiling using an Apple supplied compiler.
>
> However, the first one seems sometimes to be used when the last one
> is intended.

Note, however, that as Brian suggested neither of the above helps with
the case under consideration if it is to be portable. Although
Accelerate can be assumed on (recent) OS X, it doesn't mean that it's
what R uses or the user wants. In fact BLAS headers are not always
available, so in most cases the problem listed here is not an issue at
all since the functions used can be simply declared. The real issue is
linking against the correct library and R provides no way to do that
automatically since it doesn't use cblas, so the only reliable way is
what Brian described.