[R-SIG-Mac] Mac installation of R not liking lattice

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnl.gov
Thu Mar 19 22:29:22 CET 2009

Peter,

>>Warning in grid.Call("L_textBounds", as.graphicsAnnot(x$label), x$x,
x$y,  :
>>  no font could be found for family "Arial"
>>Error in grid.Call("L_textBounds", as.graphicsAnnot(x$label), x$x,
x$y,  :
>>  Polygon edge not found

> I don't see this error on my system.  I'm no expert but it
> appears to a font problem on your system.  Macs seem to have
> a common problem with corrupt font caches.  Flushing your
> font cache might fix your issue, but that's just speculation.

I found a font cache cleaning program online, Font Finagler 1.0, and
installed it as root.  The Font Finagler program is free for 40 font
cleanings, after which it costs $11.  I ran this as root, including all
the different types of font caches in the inspection and cleaning.  On
my first try after rebooting the Mac I still had the same problem, but
then a short time later the problem disappeared, so maybe the font
cleaning was key.

Thank you for suggesting flushing the font cache as a possible solution.

Scott Waichler