[R-SIG-Mac] Calling Objective C/Cocoa code from R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Mar 12 20:33:25 CET 2009

Guillaume,

On Mar 12, 2009, at 14:35 , Guillaume Chapron wrote:

> I have a simulation model (command line tool) written in Objective C/
> Cocoa. I would like to know if it is possible to call it from R and
> get the results into R as well. The documentation explains how to do
> it with C or Fortran, but I have not found anything with Objective C/
> Cocoa. Has anyone tried do this or do you know an example explaining
> how?

ObjectiveC uses the same ABI as C (it's in fact just a very thin layer
above C), so you can safely use R's C API. In addition, if you want to
instantiate ObjC objects and pass messages (without going through
function calls), you can use one of the ObjC packages around: Cocoa (http://www.rforge.net/Cocoa/
  ) or RObjectiveC (http://www.omegahat.org/RObjectiveC/ ).

All of the above assumes that you want to use that tool as a library
(R supports ObjC in packages out of the box). If you want to just
invoke it on the command line, you can use the regular system()
interface.