[R-SIG-Mac] mac-builder

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 13:26:59 CET 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Thanks for the replies from both Simon and Brian.
>
> Brian, I have one clarification question about your comment below. You
> say,  "Mac binaries are tied to 2.x.* for one x...." Does this mean
> that if I build a Mac binary using R-2.8.*, then someone using 2.7.*
> would not be able to install and/or load it?

Correct (if it contains compiled code).  E.g. I have

tystie% otool -L tree/libs/tree.so
ree/libs/i386/tree.so:
 	tree.so (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
 	/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
(compatibility version 2.8.0, current version 2.8.0)

and so it needs at least 2.8.0.

There are lots of other differences: only the Leopard builds have the
64-bit architectures, for example.

I've tended to just install my own packages from sources: that way
always works for me.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk