[R-SIG-Mac] Error loading packages, command 'tar' missing from path?

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 5 18:30:58 CET 2009

My tar is in /usr/bin. According to your output, it is not present in
that directory. As Kjell, I have Xcode install, but I am pretty sure
tar is available on a standard (non-Xcode installed) Mac system -
otherwise the binary distribution would have a bit of a problem.

My conclusion is that you somehow manage to delete tar from your
system. How you did that I have no idea about. You could
  a) restore from backups (you do have backups, right)
  b) Install Xcode and see if it helps (I doubt that has anything to
do with it, but it might restore stuff...)
  c) re-install your system
  d) install tar your self

d) is probably not too smart unless you really know what you are
doing. If you have access to another machine with the same OS version
you could try copy /usr/bin/tar. If you don't have backups...

Kasper