[R-SIG-Mac] problem with sweave

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 09:06:12 CEST 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Christophe Dutang wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I completely reinstalled mac os 10.5 few weeks ago, and since then I
> experienced some problem to use build vignettes.
>
> Following the discussion in
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2008-November/005578.html
>  I put the R texmf directory in my search path with

You put it in your executable search path and I wrote 'input search
path'.  That's not 'following'!

You've not told us what TeX you have installed (and none comes with
Mac OS X and there is a choice of third-party ones).  So the following
is a guess based on the fact that R's utiities work (and they do set
the input search path).

You need to manipulate the environment variable TEXINPUTS.  Something
like

export TEXINPUTS="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/share/texmf:"

(You may well not just be able to append to TEXINPUTS as set, as it
may or may not have a trailing colon.)

The reason for the caution is that there are TeX distributions in
which this does not work, and other ways are needed to set the input
search path -- and that used for R on Windows is one of them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk