[R-SIG-Mac] Too many dependencies with BioConductor packages?

Tue Jun 23 18:12:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Gad Abraham wrote:

[Some clipping]

> OK, so it installs all the Depends, Imports, Suggests, and Enhances.
>
> Maybe this should be mentioned somehow in the GUI (rename "install
> dependencies"?). It's not too much of an issue for CRAN, but in
> BioConductor there are large packages (10s of MB at least) which can
> get downloaded needlessly but are only Suggested.

While this might not be "here" nor "there," it's certainly somewhere
in between:

If you stick with the recommended way of installing bioconductor
libraries, ie:

R> source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R')
R> biocLite('GOstats')

You'd likely circumvent this problem. GOstats is installed in my
system, but most all of the extra packages you were pulling down are
not.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos