[R-SIG-Mac] Problem to install rtiff package from source

Karsten Rodenacker karo03de at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:08:51 CEST 2009

I would like to install the rtiff package, which does not exist as
binary. I have MacPorts installed and tried with
sudo R CMD INSTALL --configure-vars='LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include' rtiff_1.4.tar.gz
(which worked for rimage installation from source)

The result is
* Installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
library’
* Installing *source* package ‘rtiff’ ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
** arch - i386
gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/i386  -I/
usr/local/include    -fPIC  -g -O2 -c rtiff.c -o rtiff.o
rtiff.c: In function ‘getTiffDescription’:
rtiff.c:136: warning: ‘return’ with no value, in function returning
non-void
gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
-mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -
multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o rtiff.so rtiff.o -ltiff -
F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework -
Wl,CoreFoundation
ld: library not found for -ltiff
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [rtiff.so] Error 1
Fehler: compilation failed für Paket ‘rtiff’
* Removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rtiff’

Seemingly the LDFLAGS are not sent to gcc?

Any help is appreciated
Regards
Karsten
karo03de at gmail.com