[R-SIG-Mac] R mac gui improvements

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jun 12 16:54:45 CEST 2009

Thomas,

thanks for the suggestions.

On Jun 12, 2009, at 5:06 , Thomas Julou wrote:

> First of all, I would like to thank you for the great gui you
> developped for R under mac. What a great change when it appeared!
>
> By now, a few improvement would make user life even easier and more
> pleasant ;)
> Mainly regarding quartz graphic windows: having a toolbar with a few
> features would not hurt.

I'm not a big fan of toolbars with "few" features since they take away
space unnecessarily (some of the old tools in R.app are bad
enough ;)), but that's a matter of taste ...

> As in TexShop for instance: hand, small magnifier, big magnifier,
> zoom tool,

Potentially useful - but not really on my priority list. However,
contributions are welcome.

> save and print…

We have menus and shortcuts for those already ...

> and why not tabbed graphic window.

 From a UI point of view it's a bit questionable how to do that
properly (having more independent devices in one window), yet, again
if someone finds it useful [s]he should figure that out. However, you
are aware of the history accessible via <Cmd><Left>/<Right> I suppose?

> Here are my two cents… I have no idea about the doability, but I
> guess that if you use mac PDFkit for display,

As the name suggests Quartz is implemented using Quartz, not PDF Kit.
Quartz is more general and not limited to PDF.

Note that Quartz is a very modular infrastructure so you can even
write a package that provides an enhanced Quartz on-screen window.
Clearly if it was based on qdCococa it would be easy to fold it into R
later. Also note that Quartz is part of R and not the GUI, so it will
benefit all Mac users.