[R-SIG-Mac] Query MS SQL Server DB using RODBC from OS X

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 8 06:54:48 CEST 2009

There are others better at ODBC than I. None the less...

I think you have to set up a DSN on the Mac side that points to the
Windows OS, just like for any remote host.  There should be a GUI app
in your Utilities folder for specifying ODBC drivers and creating
DSNs.

I don't know what ODBC driver you should use, but a bit of web
searching will no doubt find some companies that will sell you one.
Or maybe Microsoft includes one with Office for Mac, or maybe
Microsoft has one you can download.

My ODBC configuration file is
   ~/Library/ODBC/odbc.ini

-Don