[R-SIG-Mac] tcltk

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Jul 13 22:38:08 CEST 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 3:11 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Mikhail Beketov wrote:
>
>> Dear Prof. Ripley, dear Mr. Winsemius, dear all,
>>
>> I just installed Xcode tools from my installation CD. Also
>> additionally the package X11SDK. But ... it still doesn't work.
>>
>> I have (I mean I can see it in Finder):
>>
>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/
>> tcltk/libs/i386/tcltk.so
>

> The error message is suggesting there is some problem with loading
> that    file. Have your rebuilt permissions recently? Disk
> Utility.app is the the approapriate starting poit for permissions
> fixes.

For brief information on Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities):

   http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh17.html

>> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.2.dylib"
>>
>> and also alias "libX11.6.dylib" in the same place.
>
> So it is in a location where R is not expecting to find it. I will
> bow out now, since I am not sure that reinstalling X11 in the /usr/
> tree is the right strategy (or even needed ... see below). There may
> be a path argument that could be set, but I would need to read
> through the available manual material before I maybe got a clue.
> ( And then it would still be a guess.)
>

>> I'm afraid I don't know what is "terminal session".
>
> There is an application named Terminal (or Terminal.app)  which is
> by default in your Applications/Utilities/ folder. It lets you
> execute Unix commands. I am not able to see the /usr/ folder tree
> with my Finder setup, so I can only look at it with Terminal. Maybe
> someone has a hint about how to let Finder peek behind the Unix
> curtain.

David,

To enable Finder to display 'hidden' files and folders, open a
Terminal and paste in:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Finder will restart after the last command.

Note that doing this will also display files that begin with a '.'
which are normally hidden, but which can be beneficial to show. Files
such as .RData and configuration files such as .emacs will now be
visible. However you will also see files such as .DS_Store in each
folder and on the Desktop, which is a system file for Finder. It will
also show these hidden files and folders files when installing new
applications, which risks confusing folks.

To re-enable the default Finder behavior, paste this in to a Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

HTH,

Marc Schwartz