[R-SIG-Mac] Possible mac-specific bug in svg (cairo) graphics

Yan Wong yan at pixie.org.uk
Wed Jan 28 12:33:12 CET 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 16:16, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> I think you got the corresponding response to your post before -

Apologies: I didn't see that reponse.

> cairographics cannot locate an italic version of the font -
> switching to a font which has the desired traits will produce the
> desired output, e.g.:
>
> svg("test.svg", width=4,4,8)
> par(family="Arial")
> plot.new()
> text(0.5,0.5,labels=expression(italic("This should be in italics")))
> dev.off()

Thanks. I tried this with family="Arial", family="Times",
family="serif", family="sans", family="Verdana", and family="mono",
and they all come out as bold.

I guess if this doesn't happen on other systems, then is must be a
problem with my R or system setup. Unfortunately I don't have another
system  to try this out on.

The italic versions of Arial, Time, and Verdana are all available,
according to Font Book.

Have you any suggestions as to how I could try and find out what is
going on here? Can I activate some sort of debugging or verbose mode
in Cairographics?

Cheers

Yan