[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to read.csv because of special character in file

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Tue Jan 20 18:07:47 CET 2009

Colleagues,

I am trying to read a file that contains the µ (mu character).
readLines is succcessful and shows the following:
	"\xb5g/mL\"

read.csv yields the following:
> Error in type.convert(data[[i]], as.is = as.is[i], dec = dec,
> na.strings = character(0)) :
>   invalid multibyte string at '<b5>g/mL'

using a text editor, i replaced all occurrences of µ (mu) - at which
point read.csv worked properly.

sessionInfo()
> R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
> i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
>
> locale:
> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:

Although my work-around was successful, I am wondering whether there
is some means to accomplish this without editing the source document:
1.  is it possible to inform R to read the character in its natural
form?
2.  if not, I could execute readLines, then do a gsub (which did not
work - any ideas of how to formulate the regular expression would be
appreciated). then write to a tempfile and read in again (or use a
textConnection).

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)