[R-SIG-Mac] [R] data frames with å, ä, and ö (=non-ASCII-characters) from windows to mac os x

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:00:34 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, David Winsemius wrote:
>
>> It displays sensibly (at least I think so, not being a reader of any
>> Scandinavian language)  on my Mac (10.5.6).
>
> I think that is because your email client re-encoded it (as did mine),
> always a hazard of email.  It was marked as iso-8859-1.  Email, unlike text
> files, can have the encoding marked.

Thank you for your help, and I apologise for crossposting previously.
I've previously figured out how to solve this issue when using read.table(),
but in this case I was using save() and load() on the dataframe,
inbedding it in a workspave- is there a way to tell  load() that the
workspace to be loaded was created with a specific encoding?

Regards,

Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.