[R-SIG-Mac] problems with the data editor

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 9 20:07:09 CET 2009

Dear list members,

I thought that I recalled a recent posting reporting a problem with the R
data editor, but I haven't been able to locate the message in the list
archive.

In any event, I can reliably cause the R.app data editor either to hang or
to produce errors in a couple of ways, the first of which is easier to
describe (the X11 data editor seems more robust, if limited in its
capabilities):

(1) Edit an empty data frame (which works in the Windows and X11 data
editors): edit(as.data.frame(NULL)).

(2) Edit any data frame "vigorously," adding a deleting rows and columns
repeatedly. E.g., library(car); edit(Prestige).

I'm using R 2.8.1 installed from the binary on CRAN under OS X 10.5.5 on a
MacBook.

I wonder whether anyone else has observed these problems or has an idea
about how to fix them.

(I'm copying Brian Ripley since we exchanged emails about this issue earlier
today.)

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor