[R-SIG-Mac] case sensitivity, my 0.02 worth

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Sat Feb 21 01:39:25 CET 2009

Here's what I think.

I've had enough trouble trying to convince n00bs that e-mail addresses
are not case-sensitive, which, at least so far, remains true.

I see absolutely no reason or value to making commands, directory paths,
file names, etc.  case-sensitive.  It may be "cute" but it invariably
leads to confusion even within an OS that supports sensitivity.
Frankly, I'd be happier if R was not case-senstive either.  Maybe it's
just me, but I don't have the patience to recall whether to type

 >>getNativeSymbolInfo and Extract.data.frame,  or

 >>Getnativesymbolinfo and extract.Data.Frame, or some other combination.

(relax -- I'm just picking a couple example commands w/ capital letters
in them)

Then again, if it were up to me, I'd ban spaces in file and directory
names, too.  ~_^

Carl